November 9, 2021

Announcing: Book of Extinction

We're working with a good friend of ours, Lucas Zellers (@SparkOtter), to craft a new book that gives life to extinct animals through Dungeons and Dragons: the Book of Extinction. It's about history, conservation, and some of the coolest animals that have ever lived, but you've never heard of. 

Every animal gets two sets of stats and lore: its historical story with real-world appropriate stats, and its lore as a D&D monster, with magical powers and cool stats. We're also going to be adding new races, subclasses, magic items, and an adventure. This is shaping up to be an extremely cool project launching in 2022, and I hope you'll join us as we craft this book largely in the public eye.

Preview Out Now

We're developing this project, three monsters at a time, on our Patreon. Right now, however, you can get the first three monsters on the Mage Hand Press store for Pay What You Want (including free). We're giving all the proceeds of this preview to conservation organizations working to preserve endangered species.

Making a Monster: Extinction Podcast!

But we're also doing something totally new: we're making a companion podcast as we create this book. We'll be interviewing experts and getting their insights into the history, biology, and stories of the animals-turned-monsters we feature in the book. Each entry in the book only gets about a thousand words of text, and their stories and far too interesting to fit entirely into that space. So this podcast is going to expand on what we highlight in the book, reveal some interesting glimpses into our game design, and hopefully just be super fun to listen to!

 The introduction episode of Making a Monster: Extinction is out now (and embedded below).

12 comments:

  1. Wow. That's incredible!
    It makes me really happy every time I see a geeky community doing something geeky for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respect the grind, keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Month and a Half Later: *cricket noises*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not Dr Amber has come to stay to do wonders with his spells. I overheard my co-worker telling his cousin how Dr Amber helped him get back his partner within 24 hours . I was amazed about what he said. I searched for this man called Dr Amber online and guess what... He had so many good reviews online about his work. I got in contact with him to win the lottery and he assured me that winning the lottery is not a problem but what do I intend doing with the winnings. I told him what I will do when I become a winner. Dr Amber prepared a spell and prayed for me for 3 days before he told me where to play the Lottery. I did as he instructed me with a positive mindset. To my greatest shock, I was announced the winner of $1,000 dollars everyday for life which is equivalent to a cash prize of $7,000,000 million dollars.. I have no words to thank Dr Amber but to share your good works to everyone that needs help. Visit: amberlottotemple.com or Email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete